When you’re about to host an international business meeting, one of the key things you have to take care of is business interpreting services. It is not easy to conduct a business meeting and if the participants speak different languages the level of difficulty increases. To facilitate clear and effective communication and enable participants to get their points across, it is vital to have people to facilitate communication, which is the job of business interpreters.
You’ll realize the value of business interpreting services especially when your meeting involves closing deals and signing business contracts. It’s vital to work with a translation company that has experience and proven results in business interpreting.
It is essential to note that in terms of work processes, both the translator and the interpreter translate the words from a source language to the target language. However, an interpreter deals with the spoken word while a translator deals with the written word. So do not be confused when you learn that the work of the interpreter involves translating the spoken words from the original language into the target language.
Purpose of Business Interpreting Services
Business interpreting becomes a vital tool when you are hosting a meeting or conference that is going to be attended by persons speaking different languages. Interpreting for business meetings will help you facilitate communication. Interpreters ensure that each conference participant can understand what is being presented or discussed in the meeting and ensure that they grasp the true meaning of the speeches being delivered in their own language.
Providing an interpreting service during an international business meeting shows that you care for your participants and colleagues. You understand that they need to comprehend what is going on in the meeting even if you do not speak a common language. Moreover, it shows that you are serious about making the meeting a success.
Things to Do Prior to the Business Meeting
You have to keep in mind that it is better to hire an industry-specific business interpreting service. They understand your industry better. They would be familiar with the industry-specific terminology, so they can provide the right feedback and help ensure accurate delivery of the interpreting services. In some instances, they may need to answer questions from participants or even mediate meeting-related conversations.
After you have found a business interpreting service provider, the first thing you should do is hold a pre-meeting to establish the conditions required for the meeting. This initial meeting will help remove all the miscommunication, misconceptions and untoward expectations.
It will help you to understand the interpreting process and discuss how it can better fit your meeting and meet the needs of the participants. It’s the time to discuss the agenda of the meeting, its structure and the languages required. The translation company can help you plan a better seating arrangement and go over the jargon and phrases that are not easy to interpret or translate.
When discussing the language requirements, it is also important to know the languages of all the delegates or participants. It will greatly help the interpreters if you can also tell them the regions where the participants are coming from, as some languages have specific dialects inherent to a particular region. It will help the translation company find the right interpreter who speaks the language/dialect fluently, ensuring the accuracy of the translation.
Use the initial meeting to discuss the key points of the discussion or presentation. Show them your plan so that they can help you identify some issues that can affect the translation. Give them copies of the prepared speeches so they can study and get familiar with the content and the key messages. It helps the interpreters do their job with better understanding and interpret with conviction.
It is important for the client to understand that they should allocate time to meet with the interpreters. The meeting should not be rushed. You should go over all the points that need to be discussed and make the necessary revisions and alterations, since these could help you and them to plan and prepare for the business meeting better.
Once you have settled all the details with your business interpreting services provider, you can adjust your plans based on what you have discussed with the interpreters.
It is essential to announce that interpreters will be available during the meeting to all participants and other people involved in the meeting. If the business interpreting services will be available in specific languages only, see to it that everyone is informed what languages are available. Some participants may be bilingual and they will have the time to change their presentations into another language.
What is Involved in Business Interpreting?
Business interpreting, just like any other type of interpreting services, is a complex task. It requires expertise and experience. It requires knowledge of the subject matter and fluency in the required languages.
Business interpreting can use simultaneous interpreting or consecutive interpreting, especially if participation is large. Whisper interpreting on the other hand is another form of interpreting service that can be used for intimate business meetings where only a few people are attending.
Business interpreting is becoming more vital because the market in increasingly globalized and the success of international meetings depends on the complete understanding among participants.
Interpreting for business is used for business meetings, sourcing overseas suppliers, staff training, HR consultations, business visits in foreign countries and international trading in new markets.
Top Characteristics of Business Interpreting
These are the top characteristics of business interpreting – a complex and demanding task that requires fluency not only in the native languages but also in business language and terminology, awareness of cultural differences and experience, expertise and professionalism to deliver the most accurate business interpreting service the client requires.
- The interpreter simplifies communication where there are international participants, despite the different languages spoken by the delegates. Professional business interpreters see to it that the word choices, the nuances of the languages and the terminology are fully delivered.
- Business interpreters ensure that participants are able to express themselves in their own language and understand the discussion or presentation in their native languages.
- Interpreters ensure that everything involving translation of the discourse, presentation, speech or conversation is properly handled so that the participants can focus on the meeting that is taking place.
- The business interpreter works in various contexts. They may handle business negotiations, training sessions or study visits.
- In large meetings and conferences, the most straightforward and effective interpreting solution is simultaneous interpreting. This is the most complex but flexible type of interpreting. Simultaneous interpreters are very fluent in the original and target languages. They should be subject matter experts since they have to draw on their knowledge and expertise about the specific business sector, with a deep understanding of the particular business/industry terminology. They do not have the luxury of looking at dictionaries or other references while interpreting. Their delivery of the translation of what has been said involves a very short gap from the time of the delivery and the translation. They interpret from a soundproof booth, using a headset to listen to the speaker and simultaneously translate as the speaker talks. Speakers of the particular language listen to the translation through their own headphones in real time.
- A business interpreter has the ability to improve business negotiations. But as a communication facilitator, the interpreter also carries a huge amount of responsibility. It is not only about their language fluency. A business interpreter must also be aware of the cultural nuances, as well as the subtleties of the language. These two factors are critical to business negotiations and communication among meeting participants.
- The interpreter must be a very good listener and speaker. The work is very demanding. They should be incredibly focused in order to convey what is being said by the speaker accurately. They also require business language fluency aside from being fluent in the language they are translating into, as they have to precisely and quickly translate the message into another language.
- The business interpreter should also understand cultural sensitivities. This involves not only the language. The interpreter should be able to interpret nonverbal cues, subtle body language and other verbal cues from the speaker, to ensure the accuracy of the interpretation. Understanding cultural differences is important in order to convey the intentions and message of the speaker accurately. For example, a Japanese businessman avoids expressing direct negatives, so during negotiations, he may say tabun, which means This is an indication that he is not willing to consider the proposal. An English-speaking businessman would think that there is still a chance since it’s a maybe instead of a direct no.
Need Your Business Communication to be on Point? Contact Us.
Whether you need business interpreting or business translation services, make sure that you are hiring the best translation company. Day Translations, Inc. is a professional translation company that provides a full suite of language services for local and international clients. We have a huge network of professional interpreters and translators who live in-country. All of them are native speakers, ensuring that your business communication and messages are delivered accurately to the intended audiences. When you need language services, think only of one name – Day Translations, Inc. We’re ready to help anytime, anywhere. You can reach us by calling 1-800-969-6853 or sending us an email at Contact us. We’re always ready, as we are open 24/7, every day of the year for your convenience.