Social media is a powerful tool that is utilized by individuals and businesses alike, and it is about time that translators also use this to maximize their opportunity to generate business. The role of social media is relevant for both freelancers and business owners. Almost everyone who needs clients, market their skills, products and services through social media. Translators are among those who can benefit from it. However, its effects may vary depending on one’s ability to maximize the use of these tools. Thus, when you are in the translating business, here are some ways in which you can make the most out of social media:
1. Find people who share common interests and skills. You can either be a mentor for these people or you can learn from them. Either way, it will be beneficial for you. There are not so many professional translators. Thus, if you can find some and you can share your views and knowledge with them, then it will help contribute to your professional growth as well.
2. Find the ideal client. Finding clients can be easily done through social media marketing. However, in order to maximize the use of social media, you need to find the ideal client. This means scrutinizing relevant messages or posts online to find out which of these people can potentially be your client. Social media allows you to get to know many people better through their posts and comments. Thus, you don’t just rely on random ad posting to attract clients.
3. Let everything take place organically. One problem with people using social media is that they tend to look too artificial. They start sounding like annoying sales people in the malls trying to sell their products. Take note that even if the platform for advertising has changed, the people you are dealing with remain the same. Thus, it is extremely important to stay natural. Attract them not just by posting ads about your services, but by imparting ideas that they can learn from without paying anything. As soon as they see your skills, they will most likely choose you.
4. Have realistic expectations. There are a lot of exaggerated ideas on how effective social media marketing is. Yes, it can really be effective as it can potentially target millions of people. However, this is just a potential. Anything can still happen (or not happen). Thus, you need to be more realistic. You need to have a certain goal and clear plans on how you can reach that goal. It does not mean you should not have a big picture in mind. You need to have long-term goals, but you need to be careful in your quest to achieve these goals.
5. Always share something new and interesting. Once you have the support of some people, make sure that they are glued to you. Write more interesting posts or provide interesting discussion topics. By then, you can retain their attention and even attract more people.
Social media is an effective tool to advertise your translation services. However, you have to understand that it is not an easy route. You also have to compete with many other translators. Thus, you need to make the most out of this platform and find ways to maximize all the possible benefits while maintaining a high standard for your work.