Language barrier is common in online dating due to its international user database. While it can be challenging, many people still find their life partner through online dating despite the communication gap. It is still worth a try since there are many ways to bridge the language gap, so do not make the difference in language deter you from finding a friend, or in many cases, a partner for life since there are many things you can do.
First, you have to find online dating sites that cater to your needs. Some are for free while others come with certain fees. These sites focus on certain groups of people. Some sites are just for Catholic people and others are for gay people. There are also some dating sites that cater to people with weird specific desires for a partner. Before choosing any site, you need to first consider certain criteria.
- Access to profiles. There are sites that will only allow you to view other members’ profiles if you register and pay. Choose one that lets you see the complete profile and photo gallery of the members without necessarily paying anything. This lets you know more about potential partners and cross out those who are incompatible with you. It would also help if the site indicates if the user is online or not. It is preferable to find someone who is online so you can exchange thoughts right away.
- Exclusive communication. You need to find a site that lets you chat with your chosen date exclusively. There must be a private chat box or inbox where you can send messages to each other. If you can exchange messages faster, it would be better.
- Matching systems. Modern dating sites have developed complex formula and algorithms that allow people to be matched easily. They are matched depending on what they have written on their profiles and preferences. Some sites also offer personality tests and those who have close results are recommended to each other.
Wading through the language gap
You can make communication easier by not trying too hard. Here are some things you can do to facilitate conversation.
- Use simple sentences so that it will be easy to understand. With an online translator, the other person will be able to have the words translated in their language as you converse.
- Rather than describing your room, your house or your neighborhood, take photos and add simple titles and labels to them. Use arrows to point out things in the photos that you can identify in your language. Again use simple terms that are easy to translate.
- If the relationship with your online date is getting serious and you are in the stage when you are already exchanging emails, it would be a good idea to have your letters translated. It is also a nice gesture if you can send a letter by mail. Send your original letter in your own language and the translated letter in the other person’s language. With communication getting paperless, and what you get on the post are mostly flyers and bills, there is a nice feeling when you get a letter through the mail.
- Lastly, it will be good if you try to learn the language if the relationship is serious. It will help you understand one another faster and better.
There are several ways for you to bridge the language barrier when you date online. The most effective means is to learn about the person first and find out which method will work best. Use the tools that are available at your disposal. In this way both of you will get to learn about each other’s language and culture and have fun at the same time.