There are certain dances that have captured the attention of many people because of their level of difficulty. In fact, some of these most difficult dances in the world only have a few expert dancers. The movements along with the required skills needed made them the most difficult dances to learn. Let us take a closer look at some of them.
• Ballet en Pointe. The Pointe technique in classical ballet is perhaps one of the most difficult moves to execute. This is a move in which a ballet dancer has to support the entire body weight on the tip of the feet which is fully extended. This is usually done when wearing pointe shoes. This allows structural reinforcement to distribute the weight of the body to the entire foot and not just on the toes. Otherwise, it would be too painful for the dancer to execute the move. In fact, it takes a long time for ballet dancers to master this move. In general, ballet is a difficult dance and each move requires dedication and training.
• Synchronized swimming. This is indeed difficult simply because it entails more than just a simple dance. It is a combination of swimming, dancing and gymnastics. It can be done solo, duo, trio or in groups. It is an official sport for the Olympics. Aside from the level of difficulty of the moves, this is even more difficult to execute because the dancers are underwater. Also, being in synch is the biggest challenge. Even great dancers who do not love being in the water many not be able to learn this sport. Swimmers who can’t dance are also expected not to do well in this sport.
• Capoeira. This Brazilian dance is more like martial arts. It is really difficult in a sense that it involves heavy body movements. Timing is also very important or else the dancer could end up in injuries. Those who wish to learn this martial art must start with very basic steps first. Climbing the ladder is quite difficult especially since the actions are seemingly impossible to execute. Those who have seen capoeira dancers move for the first time were left with their jaw dropped.
• Aerial Dance. Though this can be in any genre, dances that involve dancers being lifted up are very dangerous. Aside from the fact that the dancers have to remain graceful doing the performance, they also have to think about themselves and their lives. One wrong move and this could spell disaster.
• Can-can. This French dance is not just difficult because of the movements involved but also of the costume required to be able to execute the dance perfectly. This dance is considered high-energy and extremely demanding physically. It is traditionally danced by female dancers who wear long skirts, petticoats and stockings. The movements are provocative and sexy. They involve high kicking and in-synch movements. Another version of the dance was developed for men and it involves backflips and cartwheels. The timing is very fast and it can really be exhausting.
• Sayaw sa Bangko (Dance on top of a Bench). This traditional Filipino dance originated in Pangasinan. It is usually performed on a very narrow bench. It is danced by a couple. They have to inch and hop from one end to another. They need to stay on the bench throughout the dance unless they have to exchange places with other dancers. This is a very complicated and risky dance since it involves more benches as the dance progresses. This means that the benches will be piled up and the dancers have to dance on top of several benches without any support whatsoever. Of course, they still have to dance the basic routine and maintain their grace and confidence.
So, shall we dance?